2013年5月14日 星期二

Vienne - Jean Rhys

We dined in a little corner of the restaurant.
At the same table a few days before we came, a Russian girl twenty-four years of age had shot herself.
With her last money she had a decent meal and then bang! Out –
And I made up my mind that if ever it came to it I should do it too.
Not to be poor again. No and No and No.
So darned easy to plan that – and always at the last moment – one is afraid. Or cheats oneself with hope.
I can still do this and this. I can still clutch at that or that.
So-and-So will help me.
How you fight, cleverly and well at first, then more wildly – then hysterically.
I can’t go down, I won’t go down. Help me, help me!
Steady – I must be clever. So-and-So will help.
But So-and-So smiles a worldly smile.
You get nervous. He doesn’t understand, I’ll make him –
But So-and-So’s eyes grow cold. You plead.
Can’t you help me, won’t you, please? It’s like this and this –
So-and-So becomes uncomfortable; obstinate.
No good.
I mustn’t cry, I won’t cry.
And that time you don’t. You manage to keep your head up, a smile on your face.
So-and-So is vastly relieved. So relieved that he offers at once the little help that is a mockery, and the consoling compliment.
In the taxi still you don’t cry.
You’ve thought of someone else.
But at the fifth or sixth disappointment you cry more easily.
After the tenth you give it up. You are broken – no nerves left.
And every second-rate fool can have their cheap little triumph over you – judge you with their little middle-class judgement.
Can’t do anything for them. No good.
C’est rien – c’est une femme qui se noie!
But two years, three years afterwards. Salut to you, little Russian girl, who had pluck enough and knowledge of the world enough, to finish when your good time was over.


I was calm, cool, overflowing with common sense. I believe people who are badly wounded must be like that before the wound begins to hurt... Now then, what is the best way to stop this bleeding?... Bandages... Impossible that this and no other is the shot that is going to finish one...

沒有留言: