2013年7月27日 星期六

Chilly Scenes of Winter - Ann Beattie

Laura should be here.  What is he going to say to her?  He wants, somehow, to convey to her that her husband is a dull man.  Since he is also dull, he wants to point out that she wouldn't be getting into anything unexpected; she would just be swapping a dull person who doesn't care much about her for one who does.  That sounds awful. He will have to think harder.  He puts his watch away.  It is heavy in his pocket.  He pushes it far into the pocket, not wanting to lose it.  What would his old puckered-cheeked grandfather think of his rendezvousing with a woman at an elementary school?

On the ride to her apartment Sam sits in the back.  Betty wanted to sit back there, and both kept insisting until finally Sam pushed her aside and climbed in.  Charles felt sorry for her, trying to act like one of the guys, to act indifferent.  He thinks she is starting to like him again.  He looks quickly at her legs.  They are so fat.  She is so plain.  They have nothing to talk about.  He knew it would be this way.

"When would you... when are you going to call me?"
"Soon."
"You meant not tomorrow?"
"A second was just a convenient way to put it.  I'll call you when I can call you."
"Laura, shit!  I'm sorry if I made you mad, but I've got to see you.  I stayed away when you went back to him, but now I'm coming over there."
"If you come over tonight I won't be here," she says.
"Then tomorrow.  Alright?"
"If it means that much to you."
"It does."
"I don't think you're thinking of me.  I think you're thinking about what's best for you."
"I love you!"
Silence.
"I know," she says.  "I'll see you tomorrow."
"Where do you live?" he says.
"On Wicker Street - 140 Wicker.  A small building."
"Okay.  I'll see you then."
She hangs up.  What went wrong?  What's happening? Where is Wicker Street?
That night he dreams that he is launched in a spaceship to the stars.  His mother is there.  She is taking a bath on a star.  He gets back in the rocket.  Mechanical failure!  That strange jingling!  HE sits up in bed, eyes wide open.  The dog is walking again, his collar jingling.  By now it is clear; the dog has insomnia.

沒有留言: