2008年8月14日 星期四

de Beauvoir: how wicked people can be

511 He says he could not do less, chiefly he could not eat and drink less than he did, because in the beginning Russians were a little diffident about him. Then, during a dinner, one of them said: "Since the beginning of the dinner, I watch this man: and now I know he is good man, because he eats and drinks sincerely." So he had to go on eating and drinking sincerely to make them sure he was a good man. Then they were so nice, so eager to show him everything, to please him, then he had to look at everything to please them. On the whole, he was very pleased with his trip.

533 I found my beautiful home all spoilt: the American old lady, on the flat above, had let open the water, which flooded everywhere - my walls were all wet. I sued her and should have get the money to pay all the works made, but do you know what the old witch did? Suddenly, opening the concierge door, she fell down and died! She managed that on purpose. Now I don't know if the heirs will repay me. I don't care too much. I just tell the story to show you how wicked people can be.

沒有留言: