2011年10月1日 星期六

August Strindberg

Miss Julie

MISS JULIE
Perhaps.  But then so are you. - Besides, everything's strange.  Life, people, everything's a scum that ddrifts, drifts on across the water, until it sinks, sinks.  there's a dream I have from time to time; I'm reminded of it now. -I'm sitting on top of a pillar that I've climbed, and can see no way of getting down; when I look down, I get dizzy, but down I must, though I haven't the courage to jump; I cana'at stay where I am and I long to fall; but I don't; and yet I'll get no peace until I come down, no rest until I come down, down to the ground, and were I to reach the ground I'd want to bury myself in the earth... Have you ever felt anything like that?

JEAN
No!  I usually dream I'm lying under a tall tree in a dark wood.  I want to climb up, up to the top, and look around over the bright landscape where the sun is shining, plunder the bird's nest up there where the gold eggs lie.  I climb and climb, but the trunk is so thick, and so slippery, and it's so far to the first branch.  But I know that if I could only reach that first branch I'd get to the top like on a ladder.  I haven't reached it yet, but I will do one day, even if it's just a dream.

The Dance of Death


CAPTAIN
The bride had to wear her wedding ring on her right hand because in a tender moment the bridegroom had cut off her ring finger with a billhook.  Are you crying? - No, I believe you're laughing! - Yes, child, we laugh and we cry!  Which is more proper? Don't ask me! --- The other day I read in the paper that a man had been divorced seven times, consequently he'd married seven times as well... Finally, at the age of ninety, he ran off and remarried his first wife.  There's love for you! --- I've never been able to figure out whether life is serious or just a joke.  When it's a joke it can be most painful, when it's serious it can be quite tranquil and pleasant. --- and then, when you finally take it seriously, along comes someone and makes a fool of you.  Like Kurt. --- Do you want to celebrate our silver wedding?  Say yes now. - They'll laugh at us, but what does that matter?  We'll laugh, too.  Or be serious, whichever seems best!

A Dream Play

Law, which serves everyone, except the servants, justice that destroys itself in seeking to be just.

HUSBAND
Because in the midst of happiness there is always a seed of unhappiness; it consumes itself like fire - it can't burn forever, sooner or later it must die; and this presentiment of the end destroys my happiness when it is at its height.

WIFE
Then let us die together, now, at once!

HUSBAND
Die?  Very well!  For I'm afraid of happiness.  It's deceitful!

沒有留言: